Friday, December 08, 2006

2 Questions Answered

Sorry for the delay... here are a few answers to your questions from back in (gulp!) October:

Logan Murphy asks, "Are you reading an english version of the bible or hispanic? who are some great hispanic authors or theologians? is literacy an issue there?"
I (Stephanie) am regularly reading the English version of the Bible, but Mark reads his Spanish version. I also occasionally use a version where each page is split into Spanish and English. One great Latino author is Rene Padilla you should definitely check out. There is a literacy issue here and many people drop out of elementary school and never learn how to read; the majority of our partner churches offer literacy classes for adults and have good attendance in them.

Beth Murphy asks, "Do you have to throw your toilet paper in the trash can there?"
Yes! In the 9 months we've lived here, I've only been in two homes where you can flush the paper down the toilet (an American Ambassador's home and a home in the Old Colonial Zone which is really tourist-y)... and you still probably shouldn't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie:
I miss you and am so thankful to read your blog. Keep learning and keep living. What a rich experience. Know you are deeply missed.

Merry Christmas!!!!

Blog Archive