Over the weekend, Mark/I took a mini-vacation and travelled by air-conditioned bus 3.5 hours from the Santo Domingo (southern coast) to Puerto Plata (northern coast).

I always knew that the northern coast of the DR was considered the Atlantic Ocean... and the southern coast, where we live, is the Caribbean Sea... but I was shocked at the huge difference in the water. It was our first time to the northern coast to see it for ourselves. When we arrived in Puerto Plata, it was obvious it was different as the ocean was choppier with plenty of foam when it crashed into the beach, the water had more of a gray tone, there were shells on the beach and the temperature was much cooler. The beach was very natural and untouched in various places, so that was really cool to see. Here are a few photos of our weekend away....

We took a 20-minute cable car (teleferico) ride up the side of the mountain with a view of all of Puerto Plata

The view from the top included the rain forest that we hiked in

Jesus statue that greeted us at the top of the mountain and overlooked the city

Taking a break from hiking to talk and feel the cool breeze

One of the brilliant flowers we saw

A cool bush on the path

Enjoying the tropical forest

Puerto Plata in the evening
1 comment:
What a beautiful place. I'm glad that you were able to take the time and visit this place. I hope you came back relaxed.
Jo Ellen
Post a Comment