What a week! Get ready for an interesting health update. Buckle your seatbelt... :)
After church on Sunday night, I came home and started getting the chills. Yes, the chills. In the 95 degree heat, I added a layer of long clothes and a sheet to myself to watch football with Mark, and he couldn't help but laugh at me as I looked like it was fall in Chicago and he had sweat running down his forehead from the Caribbean heat.
Thankfully, my fever broke that night at midnight... and I was quickly reminded how hot it really is in Santo Domingo in September. (Mark said he was jealous that I could experience the coolness of autumn for even a few hours.)
As the week continued to progress, I noticed that my cough started getting really ugly and I really wasn't able to sleep due to the pain in my throat. I finally decided to go to our church's low-cost medical clinic and see Maritza, the surgeon who serves four days a week in the afternoon to make sure the people living on the streets are able to have quality health care. I obviously don't live on the streets, but this is a great benefit to being a missionary as people are willing to help you out! :)
You would all be proud, as I met with Maritza and did the whole "doctor office visit" in Spanish, explaining what was wrong and understanding what she told me. I did learn a few new vocabulary words in the process... "tos" is Spanish for cough... and "laringitis" (lar-een-hee-teez) which is obviously Spanish for laryngitis. Who knew!
In addition, and this is something to pray for, we found out today that our new intern with Global Connections Willow Creek, Rosa, might have dengue fever. She's been here just over two weeks, so this is quite overwhelming. This fever is only found in the tropics and is transmitted to humans by mosquitos. She came to the clinic today as well with a 103 degree temperature, so we're making sure she gets the blood tests necessary to find out if this truly is the case.
So, Mark/I are re-thinking our little weekend getaway to Puerto Plata to relax, although relax is what we need. If you don't hear from us again until Monday, you will know we went ahead and did it!
I hope all of you find yourselves happy and healthy! :)
Friday, September 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Stephanie, that sucks! I am so sorry you are dealing with so much!!! I would love to help you out, is there anything I can get to you somehow? Hang in there and we are praying for you--see email for longer message to you.
Post a Comment