Monday, July 16, 2007

Who me, a Teacher?

Yup, you heard right, I have officially entered into the world of ESL - English as a Second Language. Having to explain the difference between "to" and "towards" was part of my evening today as I gave my first English class to a girl from our church, Flor. Never did I expect (or desire, really) to teach English, but over the past month I have been shocked by the amount of people approaching me to ask if I would teach them English! You wonder why after 16 months here of living here that just last month over two handfuls of people started asking me to teach them? So I thought maybe God was trying to say something...

We'll see how my classes go with Flor, a 23-year-old Dominican girl who was born in New York City. She definitely is already conversational in English, but she really wants to write and read at the level of fluency... so we'll see what this non-teacher can do to help her. It should be fun and a good challenge for me.

For those of you who might be concerned about how much we're doing, don't worry. :) I have been trimming back in certain areas to be able to add this to my plate, and I think this will be a life-giving and learning experience for me. Plus, it's a huge benefit that I'm married to someone with an Education background!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's really neat! Maybe you can give us some pointers -- it would be a great ministry for our church with so many Hispanics living around us. Adios. MOM

Blog Archive