Sunday, July 08, 2007

Water Shortage

Did you take a shower this morning or last night? You did?! You privileged lucky dog...

This past week we were once again confronted with the realities of living in a developing country. Due to the low water level in the rivers in and outside of Santo Domingo, there is a water shortage in the area, which means that we have had water touch-and-go for the past four days.

What does that mean to go without water? Well, it means that every sink, shower, spicket and toilet will not have water. When you want to wash your hands, you can't. When you want to wash your clothes, you can't. When you want to wash your dishes (hand-wash, mind you), you can't. All that, and you have the 95 degree heat blaring into your non-air-conditioned home. Try to imagine... and I do not write this entry to make you feel sorry for us, but maybe for us to all remember how much we have to be thankful for...

When we do have water in the morning for a couple of hours, we collect it in buckets to "bucket bathe" when we need wash up, which is a normal, daily routine for most Dominicans.




After a few non-bathing days, Mark/I finally headed to a local extra-touristy hotel yesterday afternoon to swim in their pool - because, since tourism is the #1 industry in the DR, they are going to have water even if the entire local Dominican population doesn't. If we paid to enter into their pool area, of course they'd have a bathroom with showers to clean up, right? Well, they did, so I was clean last night when our group of Willow Creek children's ministry folks arrived from Chicago... thank goodness.

It's interesting how much you miss things when you can't have them: family, certain foods, water, a soft bed. We actually have water about 300 days out of the year, so that's good. I just did a little tiny research on the world's water and here is what I found:
  • A person can live about a month without food, but only about a week without water.
  • A person needs 4 to 5 gallons of water per day to survive.
  • The average American individual uses 100 to 176 gallons of water at home each day.
  • The average African family uses about 5 gallons of water each day.
  • According to the UN, 20% of the world's population in 30 countries face water shortages. This number is expected to rise to 30% of the world's population in 50 countries in 2025.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi-
I can relate to the lack of water. Any time of the year, I only get water every other day for about 4 hours. Right before the rainy season it sometimes only comes once a week. It does make life a challenge and it does make you realize how much you just took water for granted.

Jo Ellen

Anonymous said...

How I'd like to give you a big hug and then send you to the shower! We can do that in August; I can't wait!

Love you much,
Mom/Judi

Anonymous said...

Our 23-year-old air conditioner gave out its last gasp of cool air today, so we're trying to identify with you a bit. It's about 92 degrees. We do have reliable fans, and we have plenty of water, so we'll try not to complain too much! The air conditioner WILL be fixed/replaced long before you arrive.

Empathizing,
Mom/Judi

Anonymous said...

Hello Stephanie,
I hope and pray that all is well in the DR. Genora and I just got back from the NACC last week(I had a booth) while your mom and dad stayed home. That was a big turn around.

Maybe you can assist me with this question regarding Blogs. As you know I am trying to get the word out about my book, Growing Up Catholic The Pursuit of Truth. Blogs can be a good way to spread the word, however, I am new to setting something like this up.

My goal is three fold. To reach out to Catholics and former Catholics. Encourage churches across the country start a Growing Up Catholic class. Lastly, teach ministers what to expect from a Catholic walking in their church door for the first time. My book comes with a study guide for the Growing Up Catholic class, which can be used for small groups, bible study or individual study.

The response has been wonderful to this point but I need to spread the word throughout the country. The NACC response was fantastic (only 3000 in attendance). I have had Spanish and Polish mission leaders approach me to have the book translated into those languages, we'll wait to see what happens in this area.

I am appearing on Christian radio in September, WFAG 90.3 FM locally has a spot called Vocal Point from 12:35 -2:p.m. They are an SRN radio affiliate and I believe it goes nation wide. Unfortunately, with me as the only PR person and with my budget I am doing it the slow and hard way. I need to take advantage of every avenue possible. Bottom line, there are Catholics sitting in Protestant churches all over the country but they will not move forward in an authentic relationship with Christ. I know because I was one of them.

You may be thinking the Spanish do the same thing in your area. Most Spanish people who are Catholic have a very hard time giving up the Mother Mary tradition.

I would love to reach families who's spouses go to a Catholic Church or only go occasionally while the other spouse goes to a Protestant church. The kids are caught in the middle with no spiritual foundation. This can split a family apart.

OK, with all that said, is my web site http://wwwGrowingUpCatholic the best way for me to blog through? Should I have a separate page away from my web site because of the negative blogging that will come? Is blogging expensive? Do you have any suggestions? Do you recommend any blogs that I should participate in?

Sorry about all the questions, I know you have been blogging for sometime and would have good insight in this area. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Tim

P.S. Oh, SECC is now offering my book in their bookstore, The Living Word. God is good.

Blog Archive