Hey again from the Dominican Republic. Mark has been sound asleep in bed for the past couple of hours, and I've been online researching, thinking, processing, and all of that good stuff. Some people do their best work in the morning, and then there are others (the cool ones) who do their best work at night. :)
I talked to my parents tonight on Skype, which is essentially a modern marvel for free. It's unbelievable. I can talk to my parents (and see them!) in Louisville KY - and notice that my mom got a new haircut, and have my dad show me a new pair of Tevas he bought for me. It you haven't checked it out, you gotta. There are, like, five million people doin' it... come on, you should too.
Anyway, you might be wondering what's new with us as the blogs have been few and far between lately. I apologize for that. Ten days ago we were outside of internet range (but inside of bacteria/amoeba range) having a great time with a group of leaders frow Willow Creek. I alluded to the bacteria range because Mark/I are fighting daily with (yet another!) set of imposters in our bodies. Hint to those of you who come to the DR: do not eat any uncooked vegetables.
It's always an interesting experience at the conclusion of each serving group, and this last group was no different. After spending a whole week serving in a poor community outside of the capital, we bring the team back to an all-inclusive resort to relax the last few nights. And it's wild to see the reactions, which come in a few forms:
1) Shock and awe - How could we bring them to such a nice resort after being out in the campo with people who hardly can afford to eat meat everyday? This is maddening and I just can't enjoy myself.
2) Loving this, almost - I am soooo glad to finally be in a clean environment, but do I still have to throw my toilet paper in the trash can? That's so annoying, and boy, the air conditioning sure it horrible in our room.
3) Relax and read - Thank goodness for places where I can just relax and settle back. I needed a vacation before going back home and thank goodness for all-you-can-eat ice cream here.
Living here, being here, experiencing here with other people is such a process. These three reactions represent some of many different conversations we have with people everytime we have a group here. Cultivating a heart of compassion and becoming a wise servant are not easy journies, and every person is at a different point. None of these reactions are WRONG but they are very different. I have been wildly amazed at how my heart has changed since living here. It's not that I'm more compassionate per-se, but more educated? More of a globally aware person? A thinking Christian? Someone who doesn't take life at face-value and assume I understand the complexities laying beneath?
Bring on the chocolate ice cream... I promise to talk about something lighter tomorrow. :)
Monday, June 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Stephanie,
Gotta' love the husbands who go to bed early and give us the night to, as you say, "do our best work!" I'm totally with you on that one. Although, with two little kids, I often kick myself the next morning when I'm dead tired and Noah's crying his head off between 4 and 5am!
We miss you both SOOO much!
Love, Amy
Post a Comment