Wednesday, March 14, 2007

... Like This Little Child

Last Saturday morning we woke up to our doorbell ringing as five little kids came over for breakfast before they started their work day of cleaning people's shoes. They dropped their shoe shine kits on our back patio and climbed up our guava tree to get some fruit before coming into our house. We ate mashed plantains (mangu) together at our kitchen table.

It's interesting, I used to always have a certain picture in my head when I read this verse in the Bible: "Therefore, whoever humbles themselves like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."

I guess I always imagined little well-groomed smiling little clean white (!) children running into the arms of Jesus - that's the image in most new testament coloring books or just what I drew up in my own mind. They're pretty much dirty from shining people's shoes all day, could use some haircuts, pretty much wear the same shirts but still have huge smiles.

I think Jesus would have more than happy to hang out with these little guys... I think that might be the new image I have in my head with this story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What cute little boys they are. They must love getting inside your home and being treated with respect by you. God bless you all.

Love you much,
Mom/Judi

Anonymous said...

Thank you for giving us a new image of Jesus with the little children. "They are precious in His sight" and look so happy in the picture. We'll think of you and pray for you tomorrow morning as perhaps they appear again for their breakfast - you never know what your ministry will be, do you?

Love,
Aunt Ginger

Blog Archive