Saturday, February 24, 2007

Hello There!

Happy Saturday morning! There's been a lot going on since I last wrote almost 20 days ago (gulp!) so I'll try to put the pieces back together.

1) First off, I started a blog for work called Latin Fusion. It is a tool for Willow Creek folks to be better informed about what's going on in Latin America; Willow has been partnering with churches in both the DR and Costa Rica for over 10 years, so many relationships have been formed and many families are invested down here financially as well. So far we only have articles about the Dominican Republic. You have to promise to remain faithful to Haugenews if I give you this Web address to check out, okay? http://wccc.blogs.com/latinfusion/

2) We celebrated Valentine's Day! Here, it is more of a day to let a friend know you care for them, but there were hearts and flowers all over the place nonetheless. Mark and I went to our favorite restaurant, La Bricciola (it's Italian - there is one in Santo Domingo and one in Rome), which as you can see from the photo the building was a private colonial mansion from the early 1500's. Food is served in the outdoor courtyard and it is quite the romantic setting. We ordered a caesar salad to share, and one of the chefs came out with a rolling cart and prepared it in front of us - delicious and entertaining!

3) Two weeks ago I was in a meeting for our Ninos en Rescate (Kids at Risk) ministry, which is our outreach soccer ministry to street kids. In the meeting, we discussed the lack of funds we had to provide the weekly lunch for the kids after soccer practice. If we didn't raise some more money, we were not going to be able to feed them (and for some of them, we believe it might be the only protein they eat for the week!). Our one source of fundraising, which is a yard sale type event, (new out-of-season clothes are donated from a church member who owns a fashion store) did not have a leader to keep it open and publicize it to the community. During the meeting I felt a tug on my heart to step up for this responsibility... so you're looking at the new manager of La Pulga (The Flea!). Each Thursday afternoon I'll be working alongside a team to turn our church lobby into a fashion store. The coolest thing is that my soccer girls really want to help, so this will allow me to have more time during the week to hang out with them and continue to get to know them more. I'm glad my boss Tom was cool with the idea. Last Thursday the girls took the initiative to "model" the clothes and became mannequins in front of the church, which was hilarious to watch people walk by and try to make the break their poses. After a group of their male classmates walked by and started laughing they were done with their mannequin experience, though. :) I think that's it for now... keep in touch! We miss you guys!

No comments:

Blog Archive