Monday, July 17, 2006

Success: Chewing a Kid Out in Spanish

My Spanish is officially at a new level. I have proof that I'm not necessary proud of, but it's the truth: I chewed two jr high aged boys out, in Spanish, during soccer practice on Sunday. I wasn't really, really mean... but I knew I got my point across when the two boys looked at the ground and walked away.

They were driving me nuts. I was trying to run a soccer practice on an outdoor basketball court (the football field was being resodded or something) with 10 girls and 10 little "chiquitas" boys... and these two 13-year-olds (who are part of our ministry, but are on another team) kept coming onto our field, asking me if they could play and bugging the daylights out of my girls. I knew the two boys and had told them... ummm... maybe 10 times... to leave the field and go to their own team. They would just smile and laugh and stand on the side for a few minutes... and then would enter into our scrimmage like they were a part of the game.

I'd had it. I grabbed the ball, walked over to them, pointed my finger in their faces... and the words in Spanish started flowing!!! I was so proud of myself! :) :)

The boys were over it in about five minutes... but it was a success for me nonetheless.

The photo above is one of the kids I have to chew out on a weekly basis named Dryker. I think he looks like a little Michael Jordan and is actually really a good kid. I actually am coming to really care for the kids in our ministry... they just need to be reamed out every once in awhile. Good thing they have me, tough Stephanie, to give them a straight talking to in Spanish!!! :)

No comments:

Blog Archive