Wednesday, October 01, 2008

On Being a Parent

Although I've only been classified as a "mother" for six and a half weeks, it is amazing how much your life and perspective changes so quickly. I've spent the majority of Paul's life in the United States so far, but I'll be honest, the past ten days have been especially eye-opening and impactful.

The photo above is a usual sight here in the Dominican Republic. No matter what time of day, I can guarantee I'll see a horse-drawn fruit cart each hour, selling plantains, limes, sweet potatoes and onions. From my second floor balcony, I can hear the vendors yell out what they are selling, and often someone from another balcony yells out for the cart to wait... after which they will come downstairs with their pesos and buy the item they are missing for their lunch that day.

I cannot tell you the number of times I have seen this same cart pass by my house, but this time, for the first time, I noticed specifically who the vendors were: kids. Of course I've noticed before that the vendors were younger, but this time I really stopped and watched and considered.

The older brother looks to be in his teenage years, and the other is clearly a child around ten or younger. Why are these kids not in school? Why is a ten-year-old busy selling plantains rather than playing baseball with a bunch of other fourth graders? What does the house that they live in look like? And even closer to home... how come these kids have to sweat it out, wearing the same clothes each day (today they happen to be sopping wet because it was raining) like the majority of kids around the world -- and my kid will most likely not have to work until he decides he wants some extra spending money for movies?

I have a pretty clear picture of what the answers to these questions are, but I guess I actually stopped to think about the magnitude of what those answers entailed this time. When you have your own kid, and you imagine being the parent of the child selling plantains every morning and afternoon, something changes in your heart toward kids in general.

As we visit our church partners over the next few months, I believe I will see the many projects involving children through new eyes, and I'll be especially grateful for the impact they are making on their communities....

3 comments:

ABOUT XIN LEI said...

Thanks for this perspective Steph...I really enjoyed this post :).

Judi said...

Thank you for your thought-provoking comments. I need to be reminded about the difficulties in my students' lives occasionally in order to keep perspective regarding my expectations. There are too many kids whose lives are difficult beyond our knowing.

And thanks for a chance to step onto your galleria!

Anonymous said...

That is so true! I remember having those same realizations when I had Isaac, and Steve and I still get teary eyed when we see a kid, esp. one that reminds of one of our kids, who is going through something hard. It really does break your heart, b/c you have a new special bond w/ all kids once you've had and come to love your own.

--Amy

Blog Archive