Saturday, May 03, 2008

Alonzo Mourning in the DR?

Note - We understand this blog entry may only be especially interesting to the following people: Bob Cherry, Phil Haugen, Dane Ortlund and Amy "Mama Madhops" Martin.

Just when we thought we couldn't see anything more unique and special than a cotorra, we saw a NBA player, Alonzo Mourning, two days ago at the Santo Domingo Airport. Thanks to Wikipedia, now we know why he's such a star:
  • Known simply as "Zo", Mourning plays at center and is 6 ft 9 in (2.06 m) tall, and weighs 261 lb (118 kg/18.6 st).
  • 2-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year: 1999, 2000
  • 2-time NBA All-Defensive First Team: 1999, 2000
  • 7-time NBA All-Star: 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002
  • Heat Franchise All-time Leading Scorer
  • Mourning averages the most blocks in the NBA per 48 minutes with 5.46

    THIS IS REASON WE GUESS HE WAS HERE:
    In 2007, Alonzo Mourning along with Andre Agassi, Muhammad Ali, Lance Armstrong, Warrick Dunn, Mia Hamm, Jeff Gordon, Tony Hawk, Andrea Jaeger, Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Mario Lemieux, and Cal Ripken Jr. founded Athletes for Hope, a charitable organization, which helps professional athletes get involved in charitable causes and inspires millions of non-athletes to volunteer and support the community.[7]
Thanks to this guy, we had a 30 minute warning that fame was going to walk past us.

We would have asked to be in a photo with him, but we didn't want to look like dorks.
(Dane: Mark says if John E would have been with us, he would have gotten a "pound" from him for sure.)

5 comments:

Judi said...

I wonder if Alonzo had to pay the $10.00 tax before he went through customs. :-)

Amy M said...

Actually, when my mom told me about the blog, I guessed that he was a baseball player... I'm a little out of the basketball arena. I'm sure it was cool to see someone famous though! : )

Anonymous said...

Wow....two fantastic blog entries in a row! Keep it up! But please nothing about baby showers! DAD C

Dane Ortlund said...

Brings back memories: "Kevin Garnett can I get a high five"

Paige said...

Alonzo Mourning used to be one of my favorite basketball players. I'm so jealous! :)

Blog Archive