Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Being Pregnant in the DR

You would not believe the number of times people have touched my belly or kissed my cheek this week. It would amaze you. Just a little while ago, I was in the United States for a week -- and granted, I received lots of hugs, but kisses? I don't think so.

Being pregnant while living in the Dominican Republic is actually quite a treat. Just a few days ago I was in a line at a bank and had on one of my floofy tops (which my body is not quite ready for but still am enjoying them at this point). I was moved to the front of the line since I am "embarazada." I appreciated that.

Also, people are just thrilled to ask me all sorts of questions.

1. Am I eating enough fruit? (that is good for the baby's skin)
2. Is the baby moving around like a snake? (then it's a boy)
3. Will we name a baby boy "Markito"? (i hate to tell them no on this one, but no thanks :)
4. Am I vomiting all of the time? (if not, it's because I'm an American, not Dominican)

Unfortunately, my digital camera fell into salt water about a month ago, so I can't send you photos yet of my newly worn maternity pants nor the one cute onesie we own. I'm 17 weeks right now, so I'm just starting to show, which is really fun. My friend Jaime is coming to visit next week and is bringing me a new digital camera, so I'll be much more motivated to keep the blog up once I can continue putting photos up.

To start to prepare for the baby, we've started to do some basic upgrades to our home. For example, the exterminator came to our last weekend to kill all of the (oh joy!) cockroaches and other fun creatures that live in the cracks and corners of our house. We finally repaired all of the screens on our windows. Mark put a latch on our screen door so that a little baby wouldn't get its fingers caught in it. Also, I've started to talk to some of my friends with little ones to trade notes about what are the "must haves" to prepare for the baby.

We're really excited. Please keep us -- all three of us -- in your prayers. I am due 08/08/08 (Grandma Cherry's 84th birthday!) and will be having the baby in Louisville with my family, which I'm just thrilled about.

Talk to you again soon!

5 comments:

Judi said...

Could you give us the literal translation of embarazada? It sounds like embarrassed, but you certainly are not being treated like you have anything to be embarrassed about.

Love you three!

ABOUT XIN LEI said...

Can't wait to see pictures! (this is annie)

Amy M said...

Hey pregnant woman, how's it going? Give me a call sometime during your work hours about the tshirts and your general condition--be in touch soon! : )

Unknown said...

Hey Steph, just heard through Stacey Ortland that you're prego... congrats! I think my sister, Becky, is due on or around the same day! What fun! You'll LOVE being a mom. Maybe we can see you when you're in the state for the baby's arrival!
jess sanders

Anonymous said...

you need some more pictures of your growing belly!! I love you so much!!!linds

Blog Archive