Anyway, I could go on and on and on and on about our recent trip, but I'd like to write about one specific thing in this blog that really stood out to me, and also ties back to the whole point of this blog, Haugenews.
Check out the photo at left. In the background, you can see the backside of the famous Acropolis in Athens, the chosen symbol for UNESCO. The Parthenon (which in the photo is covered in scaffolding) is the most important monument of the ancient Greek civilization and still remains its international symbol. It was dedicated to Athena Parthenos, the patron goddess of Athens. It was built between 447 and 438 BC by Pheidias, the famous Athenian sculptor.Mark, however, is sitting at a location much more important to us as Christians, just about a quarter-mile from the Parthenon: Mars Hill. Mars Hill is the location where Paul preached one of the most famous sermons in all of history (Acts 17:22-31) to the Supreme Court of Athens... and my family was able to be there, and see the surrounding views of his famous sermon which set up and contextualized the situation.
As Paul arrived in Athens in the midst of his Missionary Journeys and explored the city, he most likely saw all sorts of statues dedicated to Greek gods, large and small. A ancient proverb said that there were more gods in Athens than men, and on many street corners there were shrines, temples and statues. (Try to picture where you live with pagan statues on every street corner.) Paul himself claimed it as a city which had given over to idols.
In this idol-infested context, like all of the other cities Paul visited, he immediately went to the Jewish synagogues, visited the Gentile Jesus-followers, and preached the news about Jesus Christ! Wow! As we know, Paul was in prison multiple times in multiple cities, but this never did stop him from talking about His savior... and he came into Athens with the same boldness. What in the world! Because of his "new philosophy," he was called into the Supreme Court, where he gave an extremely articulate and culturally-relevant explanation of his faith in front of the leading philosophers and thinkers of the time.
Side note to share: Paul had been prepared for this. Although he grew up Jewish and eventually became a Pharisee before becoming a Christ-follower, the location where he grew up was Greek. He learned to speak both languages and understood both ways of thinking and could become what he needed to become in the moment. Amazing... we are all prepared to be used by God, aren't we... even those years when we are far away from Him.
Now, sitting atop of Mars Hill, better understanding the context and having visited other sites where he preached, I was struck with something. I had always had respect for Paul and his passion, and my favorite books of the Bible he authored... but suddenly, I felt a sharp pang in my heart. Paul was a MISSIONARY. And guess what - I'm a MISSIONARY now too.
I know I've heard a zillion people say "we're all missionaries" in whatever work we're in... and I don't want to suck the air out of that balloon, but wow! I'm a missionary, really! I've got some big huge shoes to fill and a heavy torch to carry - we all do, but in this season, I even have the same job title and description as Paul. I was inspired, challenged, brought to my knees to ask God for forgiveness for my small-mindedness AND my lack of desire to even want to be called a missionary.
Like I've mentioned in past blogs, unfortunately I've thought of missionaries as bun-wearing socially-backward types... but Paul was not one of those. He had a huge work-ethic as he travelled the Mediterranean (in not-as-easy times to travel) to encourage, challenge and tell about the grace which could be found in Jesus. He was bold, confident and brought up a team of others to do the same. What a realization!
As Paul thanked so many in his letters to the Philippians, the Corinthians, and so... as a missionary, I'd also like to thank YOU for your continued prayer and support for Mark/I. There have been hard times here, but we feel that God is taking us on a journey and using our lives in ways that we never would have imagined (street kids? what the heck!) and we are privileged to have so many friends at home praying and cheering for us.
Please continue to do so, and be missionaries in your own context as well... really.

2 comments:
Stephanie,
That is a neat realization you had, it's cool when you can have profound connection to someone in the Bible like that!
Side note #1: I never thought I'd see my brother in such "cool" sunglasses! : )
Side note #2: I don't apparently have your correct email address b/c I sent pictures to a bunch of people, mainly with you in mind, and your address bounced back. Could you email me at amy_c_martin@yahoo.com and I'll return to whatever address you email me with those picts?
Thanks!
Love, Amy
Stephanie and Mark--it's amazing to see how God continues to speak to you in such unique ways. It makes me want to open my eyes (and ears) a little bigger! Love you, MOM C
Post a Comment