Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A Snail's Tale

Upon coming home from church on Sunday night, we were greeted by a visitor at our front door. All sorts of things live in our apartment with us (we especially like the two lizards who live behind the fridge and kill off the cockroaches) but we'd never seen a snail this size before.
Mark wasn't all that impressed, but he kindly modeled his hand to show the comparison in size. As you can also see if you come visit us and get sunburned we have plenty of aloe.
For some bizarre reason, this snail has really had me thinking the past two days. More than its size, I was amazed at the way in which it didn't look like it was moving at all, and yet it was. As you can see from the photo it had a fresh wet slobberly trail behind him, and by the time I had run up to get my camara, he had travelled another three inches.
We've been here now for ten months, and most of the time it's felt like I haven't moved half an inch. My language has seemed to be slow, yet word-by-word I'm getting more fluent and am able to communicate with more ease each day. Each day, my relationships get a level deeper. Every week I get more acclimated to the culture here and fewer things surprise me. In the midst of my frustration and asking God why it's so hard to "slither" along some days, when I turn to look back I can really see He's brought me somewhere new. (Thankfully I have a neck to look back and I don't have to turn my body and waste time... :)
In all seriousness, I felt like God placed that little snail right in our path to remind me that He's taking me somewhere. I'm daily growing and changing and moving as I trust in Him, can see the trail behind me and how it was necessary to have it and know that I'm doing okay.
Does he not see my ways and count my every step? Job 31:4
In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We can see the progress, even though you might not. And you have a beautiful trail behind you...not a slimy, yucky one! Mom C

Anonymous said...

What an analogy and what an illustration! That is neat when you can look back and see God's work in your life. What a big snail too!

By the way, your present to Isaac of fruit snacks is probably his favorite Christmas present, we bribe our picky eater with them every day. I'll have to get more when they run out! : )

Anonymous said...

You're a wonderful writer, Stephanie! The extended metaphor about the snail was a look into your heart, and I thank you for your continued honesty.

Love,
Mom/Judi

Anonymous said...

Hey Steph and Mark!
I'm glad you're back safe and writing again. I love the little life lesson God showed you through the snail...it's amazing how big of an impact even the smallest creatures can make. I was wondering today how to say Happy New Year in spanish (so I can say it to Gilberto when we talk again), and now I know. Yes Steph, you're still my translator and I'm not even there! lol Looking forward to hearing more about your work there in the DR. Dios de Bendigo!!

In His Service,
Deborah

Blog Archive