Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Tres Ojos

In celebration of my recent birthday, Mark surprised me with a little trip to the #1 tourist destination in Santo Domingo.

Los Tres Ojos "The Three Eyes" is an impressive 50-foot deep cave with three lagoons surrounded by stalagmites and lush vegetation. The feel is like walking through a cave without a roof... with stalagtites and 'mites all around... yet the light to see all of the detail in the cave walls... with tropical plants/animals. The whole thing was unique to anything I've ever seen with a bizarre collection of palms, ferns, stalagtites/stalagmites, turtles, lizards, crystal-clear water, vines, flowers. In the midst of a very busy and dirty city, it was a breath of fresh clean natural air to visit Tres Ojos.

As a Kentucky girl, I didn't think anything could compare to Mammoth Cave, but I found this to be a very impressive natural wonder. Each lake has unique characteristics, and water temperatures range from balmy to a chilly 59° Fahrenheit, and depths range from 10 feet to over 900 feet.

At one point we had to take a small square raft to the third lake. This raft has two employees working a pulley system with ropes to guide the raft from one end of the dark cave to another, using only their arms. I heard the friendly sound (!) of dozens of bats while we were riding along in the basically complete darkness.

Here's a photo of Mark looking into one of the lakes called "The Woman's Lake."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds very cool! You two are living an amazing life right now. I don't know which experience was more impressive - meeting with the Willow and ICAS pastors or visiting the cave - but obviously you are experiencing the wonders of God's world daily.

Love,

Dad

Stephanie Cherry Haugen said...

We want to take you and mom to this place when you come! I cannot wait for you to be here!!!

Blog Archive