At the risk of frustrating our small (yet faithful, right? :) audience, I am going to skip over answering the questions posed in the most recent to post some awesome photos of our recent trip to Constanza. Because the photos explain more than my words ever could, I will be brief. Mark/I travelled three hours away (one hour of which we travelled in the bed of a
public pickup truck) to visit my good friend Nancy Lewis and her husband Lee, whom I have known since my time at Wheaton College. They are building an orphanage through Kids Alive International and are doing a tremendous work in the rural mountains of Constanza, Dominican Republic. The temperature was below 70 degrees, so I was able to experience Fall after all... I even slept with socks and a long pants!
I thought I'd visited some pretty amazing places in my life but this location, with its untouched beauty and diversity of scenery, blew both Mark/I away. We've heard the expression that "God rests in Constanza" and after our trip, we might just believe it!

Mark and Stephanie in Constanza (what they like to call the "Switzerland of the Carribean" because of the views, mountains and it is the highest point in the whole Caribe)

Constanza

The community center we visited reaching out to both adults/kids with English lessons, computer labs and hot meals 3x/day.

Loving the mist and the change of scenery into something that looks more like Colorado rather than the Bahamas!
5 comments:
So - did you get a chance to wear some of your ‘nalgas largas’ as well? Oh wait! I think it is ‘mangas largas’. (reference to a previous post & joking of course.)
Those pictures are fantastic! Continue to acknowledge God ‘…in all your ways.’ Much love from the Murphys.
Hi Steph! I keep meaning to send you a Happy Belated Email. Maybe I'll just post instead...
I love the pictures - beautiful countryside. I love the yellow Cannas - my grandpa always plants cannas at my parents' house.
Hope you are well!
Lexi :)
What a gorgeous place! However, I would put money on the the fact that the part you will remember twenty-five years from now is the ride in the back of that truck!
Love,
Mom/Judi
Steph and Mark,
Aunt Ginger put me on your blog after we passed through Louisville, the Mammoth Cave area the Karst topograhy of Kentucky, on our way to a new project in San Antonio. So we were thinking of you and decided to say "hello", only to find you had been mountaineering and caving down in DR! Ain't geology fascinating!
Hope all is going well; you are in our prayers,
Uncle Rik and Aunt Ginger
Hi Steph- How awesome! I'm a mountain lover anyway. Fun to take a look at your latest adventure. Thanks for putting the pics on. Spent part of yesterday with your mom. We wandered a few little shops in Lagrange. Wish you were with us. Love & Prayers - Wendie
Post a Comment