Friday, October 06, 2006

Adios a Mis Clases de Espanol...

Yesterday was a sad day for me. After almost six months of studying at my Spanish language school (CEIC), it was time to say goodbye. I never would have guessed at the beginning 1) how far I'd come in six months 2) how close I'd feel to my profesoras 3) how life-giving it was to go to a safe place and practice my Spanish without feeling stupid!

(Now that I've gone through the pain of learning and trying and bumping my head, I can see the bright side...)

Especially at the beginning when I was dealing with culture shock and feeling lonesome, my teacher Dania brought deep joy to my life. She is a Christian who I won't forget, and was a gift from God at a time of when I needed someone to encourage and lift my head up when I didn't have the strength to do it.

All of the other profesoras are not Christians, but set an example to me of taking care of the "aliens and strangers" as they helped me along in a new culture (where I was the stranger) and looked beyond their lives to care for others. Yesterday for my last day, they threw me a little party and then took me out to help me pick out curtains (I had to pay, obviously... but it was really helpful!) I thank God for this experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're grateful along with you for your excellent teachers. We know that they'll miss you!

Love,
Judi

Anonymous said...

Steph:

So which lady in the picture is your teacher?
DAD

Blog Archive