Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Throw-In Queens

Just wanted to give a quick update about the girls' soccer team! There are now 14 girls coming regularly from ages 13-17 who all know to not to touch the ball with their hands when playing soccer, they can shoot the ball in the goal, and do throw-ins correctly. Most of them are natually agressive, and are slowly learning the rules of "futbol." We're still working on headers, but nonetheless....

Each Sunday before practice starts, we have a time of sharing with prayer requests. All the girls but one are not church attenders, and they mainly associate God to rules and the Latin American Catholic church. This last week, I found out that out of the eight girls at practice, none of them lived with their father. They all lived with their mother and a couple handfuls of brothers/sisters. I found out that this is called "familia ensalada" (salad family) which means that there is one mom who cares for her children of different fathers.

Last Sunday we found out that we might be able to play in a real game (not just practice) in the next month.

Please keep my team and I in your prayers. My language is at the point now where I can ask them a deeper questions and am getting to know their personalities at a new level... and am getting a better picture of the realities and struggles in their lives. This is a totally new experience for all of them, and they are coming for the soccer... but I'm praying they get a lot more out of it than just learning a sport.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Can you say ATTITUDE? If I had to face those girls in a game, I'd forfeit on sight! Seriously, I think you'll be ready to apply for a dean's position after working with those young ladies.

Judi

Blog Archive